Pouttu obtained its maintenance and quality system from Vitec ALMA
Pouttu is a food manufacturer known especially for its meat products. Pouttu Oy has also successfully expanded its product range to include plant-based protein products. As the competition is getting tougher and quality requirements are getting stricter, the company has invested heavily in development.
- Good and continuous maintenance of equipment and high production quality are imperative in the food industry. Production is closely monitored, so the journey of a food item from production to the consumer involves many different records and regulatory requirements. The system supplied to us by Vitec ALMA was competitive, and it comprehensively contains all the information that is relevant to us, says Joni Määttälä, Pouttu Oy’s Maintenance Manager at the Kannus facility.
The delivered information system includes maintenance, document management and quality systems. The project started in autumn 2019 and it will end in spring 2020.
A mobile and real-time system
Acording to Määttälä, the biggest change in operations has taken place in maintenance installation work. Installers can now accept a job on a mobile device, find the technical features and location of the installation site on a mobile device, and mark the job as complete on a mobile device.
- It is no longer necessary to record things separately in the system; instead, information is updated for everyone to see in real time. In addition to maintenance, production and quality monitoring, information is now recorded directly in a shared information system, Määttälä describes the change.
Depending on the situation, the information and documents added to the system can be either codes, texts, images or videos.
All information in one place
For Pouttu, the biggest benefit of using Vitec ALMA’s system is the time saved. There is a lot less bewilderment and idling when all system users have real-time information about the status of the machinery and equipment as well as the production process.
- All quality documents, official requirements, technical instructions and maintenance needs, as well as equipment maintenance history can be found in the same system, Määttälä emphasises.
A customisable system that is the right size
The locality of the information system supplier was also important for Pouttu and Määttälä. Vitec ALMA’s headquarters are in Kokkola, and its premises are only about half an hour away from Pouttu’s production facilities at Kannus.
- Vitec ALMA is a constantly developing information system. It is important for us, so that new features can be added as our operations evolve. As a system supplier, Vitec ALMA is also the right size for us: large system suppliers force clients to adapt to their own system, while we were able to tailor Vitec ALMA’s system to be a perfect fit for our operations, Määttälä says.
- The system must not be a scary monster; instead, it must increase efficiency and reduce unnecessary work.
Pouttu Oy’s production facility and head office are located in Kannus, Central Ostrobothnia. The company employs about 200 Finnish professionals in the meat professing industry. From the very beginning, the name of Pouttu has been associated with strong expertise in the meat industry. The company has always valued professionalism, emphasising the importance of Finnish work and local production.